Saturday, 14 July 2012

Welcome to Mable's Loft

I am slightly (read very) excited about my first ever blog post, as it marks the official launch of my own little business 'Mable's Loft'.

The name comes from my lovely Nan Mable and my childhood love of climbing into her loft and searching for wonderful forgotten treasures. Her real name was Grace but she always wished she was called Mable, and although we all miss her everyday, she is a constant source of inspiration to me.
Nan

I've been working on Mable's Loft for some time now. It began as neglected childhood hobby which I picked up again after having George, my first baby.
I started off making little Tshirts for George in my 'sparetime', (somewhere between 10pm and midnight).
Me with baby George

Before my maternity leave, among other things, I had worked as a letting agent, restaurant manager, marketing manager, dancer and children's bowling party hostess. All the time wishing I could do something creative like my incredibly talented mum.


My Mum
 My mum is one of those clever people who can turn her hand to anything and make money from it. Pottery parties, wedding planning, hair and beauty, her own cake business (check out her fb page Ace Cakes http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ace-Cakes/172706056120392) All Alongside being a wife, a mum to me, my 2 sisters and her 4 dogs, and working full time as a manager for a ladies fashion label.

I guess I would have returned to work part time and dropped my hobby again, if it wasnt for the arrival 19 months later of baby number 2, Ted.
Ted
And so, it was decided with my husband Paul, that I would not return to work for now, and would be full time mum to my lovely little boys. Which means that although I am still chasing that ever ellusive 'spare time' to indulge in my love of sewing and creating, it does mean I can finally persue my dream of a creative job.

After making my first few handmade gifts for friends, a couple of orders for one off commissions started coming in. So that has been keeping me busy along with a few craft fair tables, but now I am excited to be opening my own online shop on Etsy. Hopefully people will like my vintage inspired home decorations and personlised children's gifts, but however successful my shop may be, I am just grateful for the opportunity to be doing something I love.
The start of something exciting
On the Mable's Loft blog, I hope to share my creativity and inspirations with my family, friends, and anyone else who might take an interest in what I am doing.
Another hobby of mine is a love of collecting and thrifting. Im always sticking my head up in my Mum and Dad's loft or rummaging through my local antique and 2nd hand shops for vintage treasures. So watch this space for my latest discoveries and feel free to share the treasures you have found in your grandparents' lofts with me! 

A recent thrift shop find. A set of 3 mini cases for £5. Now being used to stash ribbons, buttons and fabric scraps

Thanks for visiting me. Kelly xxx

Mable's Loft on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment